Why I Eat Raw Egg Yolks Every Day

Why I Eat Raw Egg Yolks Every Day

Well, maybe not every day, but on most days, I include at least 2-3 raw egg yolks in my diet. Eating raw eggs may not be what all the popular kids are doing, but since raw egg yolks are just brimming with beneficial nutrients I figure it’s worth the social stigma.

So, what makes egg yolks so special?

- Fat soluble vitamins are highly concentrated in egg yolks. This is where all the valuable vitamin A, D, E and K are stored. These are the vitamins that were revered in cultures studied by Weston A. Price.

- The yolk is also where you’re going to find plenty of B vitamins (like the very crucial B6 and B12, which many people are short on), plus minerals like calcium and zinc.

- Egg yolks are rich in cholesterol. And that’s a good thing! Cholesterol is imperative for hormone and neurotransmitter production (i.e. it keeps you feeling good), and is also crucial for the production of vitamin D. Read more about cholesterol here and here. Still not convinced? Check out this book about cholesterol’s health benefits.

- Yolks contain essential fatty acids like omega-3 DHA. Egg yolks, especially those from pastured chickens, have an excellent omega 3:6 ratio, too. There’s virtually no fat in the white, however.

- Egg yolks are also a great source of lecithin, which is great for your liver, your brain and your skin. Throw out your soy lecithin (it’s basically industrial waste) and get your lecithin from eggs!

Why eat raw egg yolks?

- Heat alters the nutrients in eggs and destroys the enzymes that help us assimilate them. Cooked eggs are still a decent source of nutrition, but eating raw egg yolks takes the nutrient-density to a whole new level. They are highly digestible and full of readily-available nutrients.

- Raw egg yolks are super gentle on the digestive system. In fact, raw egg yolks are one of the first foods available on the GAPS diet intro, which is for people who have severe health problems originating in the gut.

- In addition, eating raw egg yolks is much less likely to trigger an allergic reaction, so even sensitive individuals may be able to tolerate them.

Eating raw eggs? Yuck!

Well, I didn’t say you have to swallow them whole! Despite what some sources say, I find it hard to believe that beating an egg yolk harms the nutrients inside (wouldn’t chewing also be detrimental?). I usually blend mine into smoothies; it actually gives them a milkshake texture. You can just blend some raw milk or kefir with a few egg yolks and natural sweetener like raw honey–it’s kind of like easy ice cream! Talk about satisfying a sweet tooth with something healthy. For my kids (who weirdly don’t like smoothies) I stir a yolk up with some organic peanut butter and raw honey. They don’t know the difference.

Why not raw egg whites?

There are differing opinions on this, but Nourishing Traditions is fairly adamant that raw egg whites aren’t something to eat every day because they contain anti-nutrients and enzyme inhibitors, and may cause digestive issues. These properties are neutralized by cooking.

UPDATE: I’ve since disregarded my fear of raw egg whites. The practice never fully “clicked” with me, and after some research I’ve determined that for most people eating a nutrient-dense diet and with a healthy digestive system, raw egg whites are probably not a big issue. Mercola explains some more on this here. It’s a personal decision, but it’s always good to hear both sides of an issue before deciding.

Is eating raw eggs safe?

Here’s my take on this:

- According to Dr. Mercola’s web site, only 1 in 30,000 eggs even has a salmonella problem. If I eat three raw eggs a day, statistics say it would take more than 27 years before I’d actually run across one with salmonella. Of course, I know life isn’t about statistics, but you get the point.

- Raw egg yolks from a quality source are even less likely to contain salmonella. Healthy, pastured chickens with lots of sun exposure aren’t going have much salmonella to pass on to their eggs.

- A healthy body is equipped to fight bacteria on its own. We encounter bad bacteria all the time. If we take good care of our bodies they can put up a good fight against the bad stuff. If you have a weak or compromised immune system, though, you might want to be more careful. (Taking probiotics helps.)

- Fresh eggs are less likely to harbor a lot of salmonella. To determine if an egg is fresh, bring it to room temperature first. Check for cracks: there should be none. Roll the egg on a flat surface: it should wobble. Check the white and yolk: both should be firm and not easily broken. If you think it’s not fresh, don’t eat it.

Ready to try raw egg yolks in a smoothie? Try out one of my recipes here or here.

Do you eat raw egg yolks? Why or why not? Comment below!

More posts you might enjoy:

Why I Eat Raw Egg Yolks Every Day - The Nourished Life

+1 this Post here:

94 Responses to Why I Eat Raw Egg Yolks Every Day

1. Chandelle says:

I’ve noticed that I feel really exhausted after I eat eggs. I’ve been wondering if I should try them raw, but I don’t know what I would do with the white if I need to separate them to have the yolk raw. Any ideas?

• I admit I tend to throw away a lot of whites (well, I give them to the pot belly pig), even though it feels so wasteful. But I do use them sometimes. They make a great pore-minimizing face mask if you whip them up just a bit. They are also great for coconut macaroons or homemade merengue. Whipped egg whites can also make very fluffy waffles if you fold them in at the end. I’m sure other readers might have some ideas, too?

• barefootmommy says:

I add whipped egg whites to most of my baking, gives it much better texture! It works great in muffins or quick breads as well. I also whip egg whites for the Cinnamon Bun muffins (made with almond flour and coconut oil) from Elana’s Pantry website, they turn out beautifully that way!

• frank says:

You can use egg whites for making a tasty meringue. Love these guys.. BTW eggs are awesome. Thanks for this post Elizabeth.

• Healthseeker says:

You’re probably experiencing a detox effect. I was just reading online about the popular “egg yolk, lime juice liver cleanse,” which for many beginners will make them tired and sleepy right away. You might want to google this and see if the information is helpful to you.

• Super says:

Egg-whites contain L-Tryptophan, this has a sedative effect. (same as turkey)

Reason enough not to eat Egg-whites in the morning for me, among other reasons.

2. Grok says:

I love raw eggs!!!!

I prefer just the yolk by a long shot, but I amost always eat the whole thing. I crack them into my mouth for a snack (or suck them out for fun/less mess) , or put 4-5 in a glass for a pre-meal or light lunch.

• Hey Grok! I’ve seen you over at Mark’s Daily Apple. Glad to see you here at The Nourished Life – welcome!

That’s great that you love whole yolks. That must make it so easy to eat them. In a hurry I’ve beat a few into a little milk and swallowed it down. I thought it would be gross but I was surprised that I didn’t mind it at all. I haven’t braved trying them whole, yet, though. Maybe someday…

• Grok says:

Egg milk is delicious. You can add warm water, cream, coconut oil and cinnamon combos for yummy drinks too.

I like raw eggs so much that I’ll just sit there with a glass and sip it like tea. I don’t even mix them most the time.

• Diana says:

whoa – you crack them right in your mouth? I definitely want to start eating raw eggs. i am deficient in a few things and vitamins aren’t helping! the idea of eating chicken ovulation makes gag. I’m looking around for recipes that are good enough to trick me into believing there are no eggs in it…

• Susan Wheeler says:

Fresh OJ, 3 to 4 raw eggs, raw milk or raw yogurt, cinnamon or cardamom(opt). Blend, and drink. Great with the addition of orange for vit c boost. Personally, we eat the whole egg, I have read on the other side that with the white it makes it a whole food. I figure if it came from God in it’s purist form, it’s got to be good!

• Alvin Kim says:

Raw eggs tastes so very delicious. A good way to eat it is to poke a tiny hole on the bottom and another on the top. You block and tap one hole with your finger and drink from the other. I recommend doing it slowly if you’re not used to the taste. Let it linger in your mouth and try to take time to taste it. It’s incredibly delicious!

And I agree with Susan. Research says that the raw egg whites combined with the yolk makes it perfectly safe to consume and makes it a ‘whole’ food, just the way God intended.

3. Deb says:

Great info – can you please share more about the dangers of raw egg whites?

• Stanley Fishman says:

Raw egg whites contain a protein that can make them very hard to digest. Most of the nutrition is in the yolk, anyway. I often just use the yolks, even in cooking.

• Sherri says:

i would not refer to it as a “danger….” but rather an issue that needs to be understood. i will eat raw egg whites from chickens i trust, but not very often. the number of raw egg yolks i eat would eventually cause problems if i ate all of them with the whites. i cook with some, feed some to my dog and let some go.

4. DAve says:

I eat raw egg yolks also on the advice of Wai from Waisays.com

I also eat 80% fresh ripe fruit, fresh organic veg, unshelled nuts/seeds, a variety homegrown berries, Homemade greendrinks, homemade almond vanilla nut milks and thai coconut milk. fresh harvested water.
    That is all I eat and drink. No wheat gluten, no milk/dairy, no meat, no caffeine and minimal refined sugar.

Google waisays
    she tells you how to do the egg safety test and what to look for.

5. Matthias says:

Nice post! I usually just fry my eggs, trying to get the egg white as done as possible while leaving the yolk as runny as possible. I think that should keep most of the good stuff in the yolk intact. Nice idea to mix raw egg yolks with kefir though. I will definitely try that!

6. pamelaseedsofnutrition says:

Egg-cellent Post!! Really enjoyed this one. Being we make up an eggnog every single morning. Raw Milk, raw eggs, vanilla essense and toss in some fresh fruit to thicken it up a bit. I use no sweeteners whether I add fruit or not.

7. ARF says:

I love raw eggs in my smoothie and am totally convinced by the health benefits. However, I have noticed that I often (maybe always) get a kind of gall bladder ache when I have it. Anyone else ever have this? It feels like my stomach goes kind of hard and then there is an ache in the upper right quad of my abdomen. I additionally disappointed by this because I am pregnant and know the benefits of raw eggs to build placenta.

• I am not sure what the connection might be, but I think it’s always important to listen to your body (that is, if you can decipher what it’s telling you!). Raw egg yolks are great, but you can still be extremely healthy without them.

• Kate says:

The lecithin in the egg is causing the gallbladder to ache. It’s breaking down the bile and cholesterol in the bile duct. Happened to me every time I ate them for a while. Drink plenty of raw apple cider vinegar in organic apple cider for a couple of weeks. That should take care of the purging going on in the gallbladder and you should be able to incorporate the eggs again. Also, the extra estrogen in pregnancy makes your gallbladder kick up too. Just stick with the ACV and eat some beets too. You’ll be fine. :)

8. Xjonz88 says:

At the moment I eat the whole raw egg. I am in still two minds whether just have the
    yolk or the whole egg. It seems such a waste to throw away the egg white especially since the chickens has gone to all the trouble of producing the yolk and egg white.

Here’s an interesting link to the use of egg yolks and limes in a liver/gall bladder cleans. The thread has been running for over 4 years so there must be something in it.

• Alexis says:

I wake up crack 2 eggs swallow them whole (raw)with a scoop of whey protien powder in a glass of water then 3 hrs later i cook 4 eggs (only whites) and swallow the raw egg yolk with black beans or refried beans but i do buy organic eggs much more tastier and helthier also only cost around $3 for a dozen so very much worth it your body will apperciate it and you will notice :)

9. barefootmommy says:

Lecithin from egg yolks is also what cured my plugged ducts and mastitis! A little known side effect from raw egg yolks – they promote breast health, and apparently some studies are showing it can have a strong preventative effect on breast cancer as well.

10. Aniel ルーズ says:

I forgot about the raw yolk. I used to add and mix it with milk or chocolate milk. Thanks for reminding! ;-) via @HealthByChoice1

11. Lisawilcox says:

Great post about nutrient dense raw eggs. I will try them in a smoothie. Also, when I fry an egg, I like the yolk runny, so in that sense, it’s not completely cooked. Maybe a compromise for someone who is not willing to try raw.

12. If you are worried about raw whites, then steaming is the way to go. There’s a lower chance of over-cooking, which leads to cross-linkages and/or denatured (toxic?) nutrients. A basic egg-steamer will give directions how to get an egg to come out in which the white is adequately cooked and the “liquid gold” is still nice and runny.

13. Melissa says:

I eat a ton of raw eggs!! They are the best salad dressing with some acv!

14. Paul says:

Paul   –    Every morning in the blender: 1 1/2 quarts pineapple juice, 4 or 5 bananas,  2 or 3 eggs yolks, 1/4 cup honey and a good shot of vanilla !                      My breakfast: at least 2 cups and the rest occasionally the rest of the day.  Enjoy ! !

15. I just started eating raw egg yolks. Great addition to my raw fruit, leafy greens & nut diet.

16. Emma says:

I’m going to wait to try until I have access to local farm, pastured eggs from chickens that live outside, eat bugs, get top notch feed from their humans, hang out in the sunshine – you know, the way it ought to be! I look forward to it. :) I like the blending idea. As I’ve only eaten cooked eggs in my life, it’ll be an acquired texture I’m sure.

• Yes, it’s good to have eggs from a quality source first (mine is my backyard, lol). As for taste, I honestly can’t taste egg yolks in smoothies if I only use 1-2. They just make it creamy like ice cream. I’ve added 3-4 before and then I can kind of taste it, but it’s still not unpleasant.

17. Triniting says:

As a child I can recall my father and brothers having raw egg in drinks as a nutritional booster. I can recall two drinks. First one was a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice blended with one or two eggs with a little sugar added to taste if required. The second recipe is stout with milk and one or two raw eggs. Take one bottle of Guinness or any other brand add half as much milk usually full cream and two eggs with 1/2 cup honey or other sweetener to taste.Blend with ice cubes pour in a tall glass and great drinking.The eggs were farm fresh as we raised our own free range hens. I suppose using low fat milk can reduce calories for those concerned.
    These drinks were generally seen as drinks to strengthen men however as children we did partake. After hesitancy over the yuk factor of raw eggs, we did find the stout drink delish; as several persons stated tastes like milk shake. No one ever suffered ill effects.

• Awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing. It’s funny how raw eggs were traditionally consumed as nutritional supplements, but now that practice is almost entirely forgotten in modern culture (perhaps because factory farmed eggs pose a bigger danger than real farm fresh eggs).

18. Janet says:

I have a raw egg yolk every morning in my smoothie. My mother told me a raw egg calms the nerves of the stomach, not sure if that is true – but she can swallow raw eggs whole straight from the shell, which just makes me gag thinking about it.

I have to admit to throwing the white away too :(

19. RoseAnne says:

Growing up in the 50′s and 60′s, I was given eggnog made with raw eggs, milk and sugar by my mom whenever I was recovering from an illness (especially from a stomach bug). It was generally believed to be a strengthening tonic back then. We all stopped doing it with the salmonella “scare”, although my grandfather-in-law ate one or two raw eggs every morning by putting them in a glass and drinking them down and he lived to the age of 98.
    Now, the only raw eggs I generally get are through my homemade mayo (made with farm fresh eggs), but I have also learned to cook eggs gently, at very low heat, so the whites stay very tender (instead of rubbery) and the yolks are runny. I might have to start throwing some into smoothies occasionally. I will probably use the whole egg because of Dr Mercola and a few others have written.

20. [...] yolks (these need to be from pastured eggs, and yes, it is scary at first, but raw egg yolks are perfectly safe), start eating stews and casseroles (or in my case start preparing meats and veggies how you want [...]

21. Bianka says:

Ever since i was a baby and was always begging my grandma to buy me something sweet, she used to make me a quick cocoa cream just by mixing raw egg yolk, a teaspoon of sugar and a bit of cocoa. I found that to be one of the most delicious deserts ever. I realize now that it was pretty healthy too. Nevermind the sugar, i would run outside all day so that was being used properly :D never got sick from eggs and it’s been more than 27 years!

22. Sal says:

I cannot eat egg whites because they contain a significant amount of calcium which contribute to my kidney stone problem. I’ve had 4 episodes in the past 6 years and ever since I took egg whites out my diet I’ve been stone-free for 2 years so far.

23. ew0054 says:

I have done an experiment enough times to figure there is something to it. I eat at 6:00 am. I have found that 3 cooked eggs with cheese and butter holds me over until about 11 am. However, only 2 raw eggs with nothing else and I am good until noon. My theory is the cooking damages the proteins so by not cooking, I am fuller longer. It doesn’t taste great and is repulsive, but the lasting energy effects are worth it.

24. Jessica Wood says:

What great timing on this article, I have been recently experimenting with adding raw eggs to my smoothies and I love the texture it gives especially since I am omitting bananas right now. Thank you for the very informative post.

25. Diana Moll says:

I love raw egg yolks, after removing the white, I just eat them stright up, yum!

26. Nichole says:

Very interesting. I will have to do more research now and maybe not feel bad if I eat raw cookie dough again :). My kids don’t like smoothies either (weirdos) so I may try some of the ways you mentioned to incorporate them more in our diet.

I do have to point out one thing though…you are not understanding the statistics correctly. If 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella that just means that if you have 30,000 eggs 1 will contain it…not the 30,000th one will have salmonella. It could be any of the 30,000 eggs in the bunch so you could eat that one egg tomorrow or anytime within the next 27 years if you continue to eat 3 a day.

Just didn’t want anyone to be confused on how that works, please don’t take it the wrong way, I am not a hater :)

27. Celines says:

I eat raw egg yolks whipped with a little sugar or honey or avage and mixed with a malt drink (popular in caribbean cultures). You can substitute malt for 100% grape juice, welch’s works great. My grandmother always use to make me this drink growing up and I still love it.

28. GinA says:

Refrigeration breaks down the lecithin, so keep them out of the fridge!

29. cari says:

i tried to read through to make sure this has not been answered, so apologies if it is a repeat. has anyone mixed them with yogurt? does it have the same result as mixing in a shake as many of you talk about? (only one real way to find out, but thought i would ask before i compromise the egg and half cup of yogurt!) thanks!

30. chieko says:

I like to beat up 2 raw eggs with a dash of organic soy sauce, a sprinkle of black pepper, a tsp of EVOO, and sometimes a dash of hot sauce. A quick and easy breakfast. The EVOO gives it some staying power, otherwise I’m hungry again in an hour.

31. […] yolks – for healthy cholesterol and protein (feel free to stir them in raw at the […]

32. Wortle says:

Didn’t read all other comments, but I just wanted to leave this tip: an easy way to check if the egg is still good, is to put it in water. If it sinks, it’s ok. If it floats, it’s rotten.

33. abhijit says:

After raw egg i have horrible gas how to encounter this

34. Kay D. says:

I like to take a banana, some whole milk and a raw eggs and mix it up with my emersion blender. I have eaten raw eggs like this since I was a teen. I’m in my early 60s now. It’s not something I go around telling people.

35. Kate says:

I put two egg yolks in some whole milk and heavy cream (grass fed) for breakfast. About a pint in all all shaken up. Amazing energy and no mood swings from blood sugar changes. I think I found my new favorite breakfast!

36. Joe says:

Dr. Mercola is a quack. He got his butt sued by the FDA for false claims about the products he shills. Don’t trust a word that scam artist says. In fact, I think he lost his MD license over it.

37. Peggy says:

Come on! Anyone who is on point is going to be sued by the FDA

38. Terry says:

“Heat alters the nutrients in eggs and destroys the enzymes that help us assimilate them. Cooked eggs are still a decent source of nutrition, but eating raw egg yolks takes the nutrient-density to a whole new level. They are highly digestible and full of readily-available nutrients.”

Would you be able to elaborate which nutrients and enzymes are being completely destroyed (0% left)/altered (by how much %?) when heated? Is it Vit D? Vit A?..which enzymes?

39. Shelby says:

Joe- The FDA makes money off big Pharma, not coconut oil or juicers from Walmart. Just saying.

Also, I’d like to add…if you live in SC and you avoid Flouride and other additives in our water (sad) then drive up to Blenheim and fill up lots of jugs. Natural spring that runs all year. It’s the best tasting water. I don’t use ANY other water.

40. Christy says:

Okay–for those of us who don’t have access to farm raised eggs and have limited budgets..what are the healthiest store bought eggs? Some have told me Eggland’s Best.

• That’s a tough call. I’ve personally used Eggland’s Best when money’s tight. Whether or not you feel safe using these raw is a personal decision, but I will say I’ve done it and not been sick yet.

41. Yvette says:

There is definately a lot to find out about this topic.
    I love all the points you have made.

42. […] shakes, to get these into our kefir, glass of milk, or salad dressings more often. You can visit this article to read more about eating raw eggs, including the […]

43. mobile games says:

Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to
    know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I
    wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help
    would be enormously appreciated!

44. vishal says:

I was wondering, is it ok to have egg york in milk with a teaspoon or honey and a pinch of cinnamon on empty stomach? I have been having it for a couple of weeks now and having no problems in fact feeling much better energy wise but just wasn’t sure having it first thing in the morning?

45. […] Now for a quick and easy recipe. The BEST way to get the MOST nutrients from eating eggs is actually to have the yolk raw (or as close to raw as you can handle). More on why this is a great idea here. […]

46. frank says:

Thanks for this article Elizabeth. Raw eggs really help me too. Notice tonnes of energy after eating it.. I believe its very healthy nomayter how other contributors put it down bcoz of “food poisoning” or “cholesterol”. As it is packed with nutrition, I believe itll combat these both anyways..
    Cool post btw (:

Frank

47. […] a heated and polarized one. Adding the debate about whether it is actually more beneficial to eat RAW eggs (as opposed to cooked ones) only further complicates the issue. As science explores more […]

48. Susan McPhee says:

I grew up in the sixties in Scotland and we regularly had a switched egg which was egg whisked with milk and honey,it was delicious I’ve been afraid to have some since the salmonella scare in the 90s but you’ve convinced me,guess what I’ll be having for breakfast tomorrow : )

49. sofia says:

I love eating basted eggs (in olive oil). I like the yolk to be part cooked and part runny. Also, I eat gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. For a while now, I noticed a significant drop in my blood pressure after I eat basted eggs. My normal pressure drops to 104/59, and I feel light headed. I don’t have this reaction when I eat raw eggs or scrambled eggs.

Also, I add Bobs Red Mill Nutritional Yeast Flakes to my scrambled eggs. It is an acquired taste, but its loaded with B12……and no drop in blood pressure.

Has anyone else had this issue with blood pressure and eggs?

50. Kati says:

Thank you so much for this article. I ate raw eggs for the first time yesterday, plain, and it was so gross I never though I would be able to do it again.
    In my nutribullet I put 2 whole raw eggs, a little milk, and a tsp of honey. OH MY! Delicious and satisfied.
    Thank you again!

51. Aleza says:

I eat 2 eggs over easy every morning. The yolk only gets warm. How much of a difference would this make in nutrient absorption?

52. Gramma Lu says:

I remember my mom telling me that in the late 40′s (before I was born) my dad had a serious blood disease. His doctor prescribed 2 raw eggs in a glass of beer every night after work. Put him back on his feet and healthy! Beer still had nutritional value back then, so in today’s world, I would use a ‘real’ beer like Guiness Stout.

THANK YOU so much for this article Elizabeth – I ran across it on Pinterest. I will be starting my smoothies again and will happily be adding an egg or two.

53. […] please only choose fresh pastured organic eggs.  Supermarket eggs are a no-no!  Read this link for more info on eating raw eggs. 4.  Spirulina and chlorella are some of the more nutrient dense […]