Note: I was paid to write this post. However, I only work with companies and products I personally trust and believe will be of value to my readers.
Last month I was thrilled to have the opportunity to have a hormone and adrenal lab test from Pure Prescriptions. As you probably know, I’m a big fan of biofeedback and listening to your body. Lab testing is the perfect way to fine tune your health, so I was excited to see what was really going on in my body.
I’ve talked a lot about healing my metabolism during the last few years. I’ve overcome some serious issues that were taking over my life: adult acne on my face and back, severe PMS two weeks out of every month, mood swings, erratic energy levels, extremely poor quality sleep… looking back, my life wasn’t very fun a few years ago.
By making some simple changes in my diet and lifestyle, my symptoms have drastically improved over the years. The problem is, sometimes I felt the old problems creep back up a little. Never as extreme as before (thank goodness!), but I noticed I still had trouble with a little PMS during the last week of my cycle. And during times of stress, my skin would break out and my energy levels would suffer.
I knew these were tell-tale signs of an underlying hormonal imbalance. The fact that my symptoms had reduced so considerably from years before told me I was doing the right things. It was just like there was a final hump I couldn’t get over, and I wasn’t quite sure exactly what the problem was. I was hesitant to do anything extreme without knowing exactly where the problem was–which, it turned out, was a REALLY good idea. Although I was somewhat on the right track, my lab test results revealed some surprises.
How Lab Testing Works
Okay, so here’s how the whole lab testing process works:
- I got my saliva test kit in the mail, and had a consultation with Dr. Chad from Pure Prescriptions over the phone. We discussed how to do the tests and what to expect.
- I shipped my saliva samples back to the lab. Once my results were processed, I got an email with the results and then had another call with Dr. Chad to talk about my levels and what they indicated.
I was actually worried about the results when I first saw them–some of my levels were low, and I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do. Part of me felt like saying, “Fix it, fix it, fix it!” to Dr. Chad. Fortunately, he set my mind at ease. It turns out my levels were overall very positive, and I didn’t need to do anything drastic. Here’s what I learned:
- Although my results indicated estrogen dominance, it wasn’t because my estrogen levels were high. My estrogen levels were actually on the lower end of normal (this completely surprised me–I thought they would be high!). But the trouble was my progesterone was really low, so low that my ratio of estrogen to progesterone was too high (estrogen dominance).
- My testosterone levels were on the high end of normal (which is perfect for a 27-year-old woman like me), but that also means I shouldn’t take DHEA. Sometimes DHEA is taken when progesterone is low, but in my case that wouldn’t be a good idea because it might also raise testosterone levels, and my testosterone was definitely high enough already.
- All my cortisol measurements were either low or suboptimal. This surprised me a lot! I don’t talk about my personal life a lot here on the blog, but I’ve been under a tremendous amount of stress during the last few months, and I had expected it to shoot my cortisol sky high. As it turns out, the stress was wearing me out and causing my energy levels to be less than ideal.
The plan of action: I was surprised when Dr. Chad didn’t suggest anything extreme. Since I’m doing pretty well in my diet and lifestyle (eating a balanced diet with plenty of protein, exercising a few times a week, avoiding toxic chemicals as much as possible, getting some downtime and plenty of sleep every day, etc.), we talked about adding a couple of key supplements to help raise my progesterone levels and support my energy levels.
The results: All I can say is WOW. This past month, I’ve been taking my supplements and it has made all the difference. My energy levels are much higher, my moods more stable, and my PMS was practically nonexistent. To top it all off, I’ve actually lost 7 lbs in the last month–and not by dieting AT ALL. I’ve actually eaten 2000+ calories every single day. My size 10 jeans were getting pretty tight (I guess the months of stress didn’t help), and now they’re practically falling off me! Just balancing my hormones has made that much of a difference.
So if you’re doing your best for your health and wondering why you have lingering issues or low energy, lab testing might be just the thing to help get to the root of your health problems. I encourage you to seek out a holistic doctor like Dr. Chad who can guide you through the process and help you figure out what small tweaks you can make to improve your health.
Pure Prescriptions offers a variety of lab tests for many health concerns:
- Hormones for both men and women (including progesterone, testosterone, estrogen, etc.)
- Food allergies and Celiac testing
- Adrenal hormones (cortisol and DHEA)
- … and more!
Giveaway: Hormone Lab Testing and $250 Pure Prescriptions Gift Card!
This experience was so enlightening for me, and I really felt like it helped me take my healing journey to the next level. I am SO excited to be able to giveaway the same lab testing I got from Pure Prescriptions to one of my readers!
One winner will receive hormone and adrenal lab work (a $350 value) PLUS a $250 gift card for Pure Prescriptions supplements. That’s over $600 in value!
How to Enter the Giveaway
1. Click the link below to sign up for the Pure Prescriptions contest. This is mandatory!
2. Click on the rafflecopter widget below to confirm your entry and unlock other optional entries.
The winner will be chosen via random.org. The winner will be announced on May 12, 2014 on this website. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us at info (at) villagegreennetwork (dot) com with his or her full name, address, and phone number. No purchase necessary to win. Over 18 only. Open to U.S. readers only.
+1 this Post here: