Ever been to the ocean? I was lucky enough to finally make a trip to see the rolling waves of the Atlantic last month–it’s been several years since I’d seen the ocean and I was more than ready to dive in! Unfortunately the water was on the chilly side, but this mountain girl wasn’t going to pass up a chance to soak in the sea.
So between playing in the waves and walking along the shore, I spent a lot of time in (or by) the water. It was incredibly soothing for my mind–as you can probably imagine–but I also noticed something interesting: it made my skin feel amazing.
Something about the salt water made my skin completely baby smooth. And my first thought was, “How do I replicate this at home?!”
Of course, there was a gift shop on every corner selling a magical salt scrub (for a mere $20 per tiny jar–eek!), but I knew I could make a more natural (and more affordable) version myself. After all, you have to be careful about what’s in your store-bought body polish!
Here’s what I came up with…
Beach Body Polish Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (buy online here)
- 1/4 cup fine ground sea salt (buy online here)
- 1/4 cup Epsom salts (buy online here)
- 2 teaspoons concentrated liquid minerals (buy online here)
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oils (optional – buy essential oils online here)
1. Put coconut oil in a medium mixing bowl. If your oil is on the stiff side, stir or mash it until the oil is soft enough for mixing.
2. Add sea salt and Epsom salts. Stir until blended.
3. Add liquid minerals (and essential oils if you’d like) and stir again until all ingredients are well blended.
4. Now you can use your beach body polish! Use as an all over body scrub to exfoliate and moisturize, about 1-2 times weekly.
Why These Ingredients?
Coconut Oil: Moisturizes and protects skin (sea salt can be a little drying to the skin, so the coconut oil helps counteract that effect).
Sea Salt: Exfoliates and draws toxins out of skin.
Epsom Salts: Exfoliates and adds important minerals that occur naturally in sea water (magnesium and sulfur). You can also use magnesium flakes in place of the Epsom salt.
Concentrated Liquid Minerals: Adds nourishing trace minerals similar to those found in sea water.
Essential Oils: For scent and aromatherapy.
Like this post? You might also enjoy this Sea Bath Recipe!
Don’t forget to check out… this homemade body wash recipe!
- Put coconut oil in a medium mixing bowl. If your oil is on the stiff side, stir or mash it until the oil is soft enough for mixing.
- Add sea salt and Epsom salts. Stir until blended.
- Add liquid minerals (and essential oils if you'd like) and stir again until all ingredients are well blended.
- Now you can use your beach body polish! Use as an all over body scrub to exfoliate and moisturize, about 1-2 times weekly.
- The Secret to Actually Enjoying Your Life - May 22, 2017
- 35 DIY Natural Cleaning Recipes for EVERYTHING - April 27, 2017
- GIVEAWAY: My Favorite Essential Oil Collection + Diffuser - February 15, 2017
- Easy DIY Granite Cleaner Recipe - January 26, 2017
- DIY Eyelash Growth Serum Recipe - January 7, 2017