Lemon essential oil is just as bright and cheery as you’d imagine — it smells like your favorite lemon candy, but it is much better for you of course!
Lemon essential oil is derived from the rind of lemons. It takes 3,000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of this amazing, refreshing oil. Lemon oil works to promote wellness for these systems:
Emotionally and spiritually, lemon essential oil promotes focus and clarity. Its uplifting effects awaken the senses, clear the mind of distractions, and help a person tune in to the task at hand. It helps a person to overcome confusion or doubt, fatigue, overwhelm, and lack of enthusiasm, as well as helps to clear self-doubt, limiting beliefs, stagnant energy, and rigidness in the mind, heart, or body.
Who doesn’t need some of that?!
There are SO many uses for this simple oil — here are some of my favorites:
In the home:
- Combine 2–3 drops of lemon essential oil with water in a spray bottle to help cleanse surfaces.
- Add 10–15 drops of lemon essential oil to a gallon of natural carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains, brighten carpet and rugs, and leave a fresh smell in the room.
- Use as a stain remover for laundry.
- Use 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces. Best natural Goo-Gone!
- Place a few drops of lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and put in the refrigerator, or garbage can to help eliminate odors.
- Add lemon essential oil to baking soda and water and use as an all natural soft scrub.
- To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruits and vegetables, fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of lemon essential oil. Place produce in water, stir around so all surfaces come in contact with the lemon.
- Soak dish cloths in a bowl of water with 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil overnight to purify.
- For a natural furniture polish, add several drops to a half cup of olive oil or beeswax.
For the body:
- Add to a smoothie for a refreshing pick-me-up. (SO tasty and uplifting!)
- Place a drop of lemon essential oil on oily skin to help balance the skin.
- Massage lemon essential oil 50/50 with carrier oil into legs to aid the circulatory and lymph systems.
- Add several drops of lemon essential oil to a chicken marinade for a delicious dinner.
- For a natural hand purifier, rub a drop on your hands.
- Combine lemon with a small amount of coconut oil and use as a moisturizer for aging skin.
- Apply a drop of lemon oil to the tongue to freshen breath.
For the mind:
- Increase brain function and stimulate neurons by diffusing lemon essential oil for studying or testing.
- Inhale lemon essential oil or place a few drops on a cotton ball to replenish your mind, body, and spirit.
- Place a drop in your hands to inhale or diffuse through the room during times to uplift the spirits.
Cautions When Using Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon is photosensitive. This means that lemon oil can cause the skin to burn if exposed to sunlight after applying the oil. Avoid applying to skin that will be exposed to sunlight or UV light within 24 hours. Diluting can help reduce the photosensitive properties of lemon oil.
Ready to start your essential oil journey with me? Begin here.
Enjoy this post? Please share!
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.